Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Struggling

I am struggling with an issue concerning my youngest daughter. I don't believe my kids to be superior to anyones but I do believe both to be fairly bright and quite capable of doing very well in school. This last 3 months, Erin has be struggling with reading. She has been moving at a good pace all year but about 3 months ago she started having issues. We stepped up with helping her and did all the extra work that was asked and she is still struggling.

We just received her Iowa testing results and I can honestly say I'm in complete shock. These results, in my personal opinion, by no means resemble my daughter and her abilities. I am completely bewildered at how low they are and can't understand how she could have done this bad. She did excellant on them last year and was one of the top students in her class. This year, I haven't checked to see how she did compared to the others in her class, she is struggling with reading, spelling, writing and lanuage. Math was the only thing that she scored where I would have imagined she would have scored. Something is not right and I can't figure it out. She is excited about reading and trys reading books all the time. She can retell almost any story she reads and is very good at sounding out words, yet here we are......

We haven't said anything to her about how disappointing her scores are and we haven't had a chance to talk with her teacher. We are trying to get an appointment with her now, but haven't been able to get it set up. I can't describe the sick feeling I have over this issue. I feel like I have not been there for her or not provided something that she needed. I feel like I might be failing her.

2 comments:

Kellibean said...

Hey JoJo :)

I can tell how concerned you are. Did you ever get to meet with her teacher?

Love,
Kelli

Jo said...

I have talked with her teacher and she doesn't know why she had issues with the test. She says she is still progressing in school and is at the level she needs to be to pass 1st grade. We are working on a reading and spelling program for this summer so we will see what happens.