Tuesday, January 03, 2012

What is really Tithe?

Ok.  I'm really trying to figure this out and I am totally torn. I fully believe that all mine and Marty's money is God's and we are blessed to have every penny and we only have every penny because of Him.  Our church is a small church and like most churches are having financial issues because the world is having financial issues.  One of the first things that people cut back on when their money gets tight is their money to the church.  Marty and I are really wanting to do our part and feel it is our obligations to follow the word of God but here is where I'm confused.  Is tithe 10% of our gross or our net?



Now I'm not trying to split hairs here or to short God.  I would give him 20% if I could but I would like to know where the line is.  Here is why I ask.  (I'm using round fake numbers here to make the math easier and to not just say I make X amount so don't read anything into the numbers.  If you want to know my income, call me.  I've got nothing to hide but I'm not publishing it on the net.)  I make a good salary.  As does Marty.  And because of that Uncle Sam really likes to collect "his fair share".  From my salary is taken: retirement, social secrity, state taxes, federal taxes, health care insurance, dental insurance, FICA, TSP.  This equates to 49% of my gross income that I never, ever see.  At least I will see some (I pray) when I retire (which I will tithe on then), but 49% that is not available for use by Marty or me to pay any bill or use as we would like.  So if I make $500 a week, Uncle Sam gets $246 a week and Marty and I get $254 a week.

So if Marty and I give $25.40 a week to the church, are we considered tithers?  Or must we give $50.00 a week? 


I'm really serious about this because my goal is to be a tither.  I just don't know what that really is.  This year we are reaching down and doing the 10% of net for the first time and it is really going to be scarifical giving.  I don't know how the money will stretch each month, though I know God does.  I guess that's why it bugs me so much because I want to be called  tither but if it's gross I don't know if I have the faith to make that jump.

3 comments:

KK said...

Through the years Russ and I have had many discussions about such topics as this. What we always came back to is "God Loves a cheerful giver" and a tithe is not just about money. It is our lives...our best. So if you feel led to give x% and can do so with joy, then give it! But if that number is going to give you worry, anxiety, distraction, and dread then that amount is not what God is asking of you. God may be asking for time, talents, and outreach instead of certain dollar amount. But only you can know what God is calling you to. So be in prayer, find peace and know THAT is from God.
Blessings!
Miss you guys!
KK

Zepheratic said...

I agree with what KK said, There are many ways in which to give however, to more so anwser your question I've always been under the notion that it is your net amount in which you make that you tithe from. At least that is what Mike and I do and even that is really hard some weeks. But it has been proven to us twice now by God that He will provide. Twice since joining CC we have been really hard up due to some unexpected expenditures but we gave as we always do and we were not only taken care of by God but actually ended up in a better position than we ever expected.

Anonymous said...

I think it is 10 percent of the net also but like it was stated God loves a cheerful giver. We did our 10percent of net for about 6 months last year before we were hit with a huge school loan repayment schedule for my hubby's degree. I give at least 5 percent. But God has blessed us with my husband making a great bonus and our house payment going down over 200 dollars a month so I plan to begin giving the 10 percent if I am able! Pray about it and God will reveal what he needs or wants you to do!